Likes: Punk rock, ska, loafing
Dislikes: Tories, cucumber, Keira Knightly
- How did you get into Roller Derby? It was long and gradual but Whip It! was certainly part of it (I’ll see any film featuring Drew Barrymore). I run club nights at various venues, and these inevitably feature feisty, tattooed, leather-jacketed music, films and girls. So as a fan of rockabilly, Russ Meyer, John Waters and hot-rods, it was inevitable that I would end up involved in roller derby.
- Who is your favourite player for Newcastle Roller Girls? I’ve had a long time crush on Kalamity James. Kalamity is one of my all time sporting heroes, and I admire her physicality, her sense of fun, and her commitment to the sport. We hit it off the minute we met, and have been friends ever since. Sniper-Viper is a close second by the way, but that’s pure lust!
- Who is your favourite skater in the world? Kalamity. There’s nobody like her, either skater or non-skater.
- What is your proudest derby moment? Being asked to announce for the Portsmouth Roller Wenches, my hometown team.
- What is your most embarrassing derby moment? Trying to get the crowd to count down the final ten seconds of the bout. There were at least four minutes to go and I was looking at the jam countdown, not the period countdown.
- What do you get out of being involved with Newcastle Roller Girls? The friendship and company of a large number of like-minded folks who don’t play by the rules, or follow trends. These are brave, hardworking committed, warm people, who support each other, are pretty non-judgemental, and who look brilliant into the bargain.